Tuesday, May 31, 2011

City of Ashes - Review


Clary Fray just wishes that her life could go back to the way it was before all of this crazy stuff happened to her. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced sleep, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon. But the Shadowhunters won't let her go- especially her handsome, infuriating newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil- and also her father! When the  second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes to help their father?




I really liked this book, as you can tell by how many stars I rated it, and it deserved that rating. Now there was one HUGE draw back of this entire series (mind you I haven't read City Of Glass yet so don't hold me to anything) the books are very long! Some of the times I would be like "Really? Do we need to know about this and that?" Sometimes I would have to put the book down and take a few deep breaths to ready myself for another chapter because the chapter turned out to be very long and very detailed, which as I said in my last review of City Of Bones: these books are very detailed, and some of the stuff I could careless to know about...

Plot - ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ I would have given it five stars, but the length of the book held me back from doing so... Okay the plot was great, better then the last book, City Of Bones. I liked everything about the plot so I give it a solid four stars!
Writing - ☆ ☆ ☆ The writing hasn't really changed all that much, but in a way it has from the last book, still a little to much detailed for my blood, but it was good and I understood a great deal of it, no grabbing the dictionary for me! I give the writing three stars!
Characters - ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ Oh my god the characters were so much betterthis time around! I almost cried when Jace actually started to show that he had a heart, who knew! I give the characters five stars!

Clarissa (Clary) Fray - Okay I totally loved Clary in this book! She showed that she had more spunk and really could kick some ass if she set her mind to it! The way she tells Jace, and others that try and order her around, that she isn't some little kid that can be bossed around just made me like her even more!

Jace Wayland - I really enjoyed Jace in this book, he was sexy and a little arrogant, but not enough to make me hate him. He showed he had a heart more in this book then in the last, which I really liked about this book!

Inquisitor - God how I hated this old hag! I can't tell you how much I wanted to leap into the pages and just ring her neck! She was so freaking hardhead and was dead set against listening to either of Clary, or Jace when it came to them telling her what their father was planning...! I just- oh god how I wanted to ring her old wrinkled neck!

Alec Lightwood - I don't know just something about Alec makes me happy and makes me want to laugh. His whole situation about begin  (view spoiler) and how it was some how a taboo, or whatever for the Clave just made him all sexy, as well as a little awkward, and mysterious...!

Isabelle Lightwood - I liked her in this book, she wasn't such a bitch in the City Of Ashes. I mean she did have her bitchy moments, don't get me wrong, but she showed a sort of good/nice side of her that you rarely, or if ever, saw in City Of Bones.

Magnus Bane - Okay I totally loved Magnus in this book and the City Of Bones! I don't know why but I think he such an interesting character! God I know I'm going to regret saying this but to me he is actually sex, in way- hell I don't know in what he is sexy, just that he is! He has to be one of my favorite characters in the book(s) I hope he is in the next because I would really miss him if he wasn't...!

Max Lightwood - When he came into the picture I caught myself grinning from ear to ear. He was so innocent (and stubborn like his siblings) but at the same time very mature for his age.

Maryse Lightwood - The one thing that really irritated me about her was how easily she turned her back on Jace, who she considers her son! Her  son! I'm sorry but where I came from you don't just throw your son, or daughter whatever the case may be, onto the street. She didn't even try and listen to Jace's side of the story, she just tuned him out and acted like she did nothing wrong.

Robert Lightwood - You really don't see him that much in the book, his wife, Maryse, is in the book more then him...

Luke Garroway - As in my review of City Of Bones I really enjoyed Luke. He seems to be a great father figure to Clary and just your average good guy, who happens to be a werewolf...

Simon Lewis - I totally loved Simon in this one, hell I think Clary is a lucky girl to have a best friend,  (view spoiler) like Simon! I would love to have a friend like Simon!

Maia Roberts - Is a werewolf in Luke's pack, or whatever. You can see that she has a thing for Simon...

Valentine Morgenstern - I freakin hated this guy! He is a nasty piece of scum, who cares for no one but himself, and I hope Clary and Jace kill him either in City Of Glass, or the next book after that, City Of Fallen Angels!

Overall give this book ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ - nothing more and nothing less!

No comments:

Post a Comment